develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 2001

Re: Clamp, wherefor art thou

From:
Arthur Bergman
Date:
October 30, 2001 08:34
Re: Clamp, wherefor art thou
Message ID:
048b01c16161$af35b8a0$21000a0a@win32.local

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 04:21:34PM +0000, Simon Cozens wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 06:11:27PM +0200, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> > > I think the basic idea of the functionality is okay
> >
> > I still think this doesn't belong in core.
>
> Well, that depends on where you want to draw the "core line".
> How much help are we willing to give to the XS people?
>
> For example, weak references are in the core, even though core itself
> doesn't use them.
>
> Maybe instead of directly diddling with the HV definition and code
> we could solve this one by supplying the right hooks for XS writers
> to hang on to?

IMHO we should let SvREADONLY have a meaning on AVs and HVs.

A Readonly hashes/array can not have any new items added or deleted to it. But it doesn't lock the contents. If you want to do that
you can itirate over it and make them SvREADONLY.

Arthur