develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 2001

A perl project for someone - ExtUtils::Embed

From:
Nick Ing-Simmons
Date:
October 28, 2001 09:50
Subject:
A perl project for someone - ExtUtils::Embed
Message ID:
20011028174957.17836.1@bactrian.ni-s.u-net.com

If you look at the newly added lib/ExtUtils/Embed.t it becomes obvious
that far too much messy knowledge is still required and that ExtUtils::Embed
needs another abstraction or two.

I think it needs something like

   cccmd($ofile)

which takes care of $Config{'cc'} and whatever is needed as equivalent
of -o for the platform - including appending $Config{'exe_ext'} if
required.

Something else which handles need for -link before linker args for VC++'s cl
would be nice.

It would also help the Embed.t in particular if whatever is doing the
search(es) for -lperl had special case for an un-intstalled core build.

In a perfect world we could install a script - let me call it embedcc
which took -o -c -L -I as per a "normal" UNIX C compiler and it appended
all the other mess that is needed to build for embedding:

embedcc -o myapp myapp.c

Ideally the person taking on the project would have access to Win32
build environment as that is one of the messy ones.

--
Nick Ing-Simmons
http://www.ni-s.u-net.com/