develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2001

Re: [perlhelp] some notes on windows problems

From:
Jonathan Stowe
Date:
September 29, 2001 08:05
Re: [perlhelp] some notes on windows problems
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.33.0109291556250.18586-100000@orpheus.gellyfish.com
On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Michael G Schwern wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 05:17:19PM +0300, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> > I'm now dimly recalling at least some of what I had to change in old
> > perldoc.bat.  First off, using $$ to generate a reasonably unique
> > tempfilespec doesn't work nicely under MSWin, because:
>
> Anything wrong with File::Temp?
>

> > So that, plus just basic interface design (i.e., more.com is bone stupid,
> > besides not being a GUI), led me to think that behavior of perldoc under
> > MSWin should not be to pipe to more.com, but instead to pipe output to a
> > temp file, and open that temp file in a text editor, like write.exe (which
> > kicks open wordpad under MSWin98 -- not sure what it does under MSWin95).
> > Or start.exe, which just opens the file with whatever application is
> > associated with that extension.
>
> Hmmm... if there's a Pod to Windows Help converter around somewhere
> that might be useful.
>
> And hey, there it is:
> http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-authors/Peter_Prymmer/Pod2WinHlp-0.02.readme
> excepting that it seems to require some Visual Studio utilities.  Damn.

For binary distributions (which is probably the majority of installations
on Win32) this isnt so much of a problem.  I havent looked at the module
in question so I dont know what it does but if it doesnt do it already
then Pod::RTF could be used and thence the help file compiler which is
almost certainly available in most native Win32 compiler kits we support (
I am guessing that the cygwin people could care less about windows help
files :)

/J\
--
Jonathan Stowe                      |