develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2001

Re: [perlhelp] some notes on windows problems

From:
Philip Newton
Date:
September 28, 2001 23:28
Re: [perlhelp] some notes on windows problems
Message ID:
d7oart43dh9tjdngjnbrij3ih3p0otpfnm@4ax.com
On Fri, 28 Sep 2001 15:59:28 +0100, nick.ing-simmons@elixent.com (Nick
Ing-Simmons) wrote:

> IIRC the "process id" is the slot in the process table, and Win32
> reuses slots. So in absense of other activity your children keep
> getting same slot and same id.

And the fact that the second window got different "PIDs" is probably
because the second instance of COMMAND.COM took up the slot that
PERL.EXE previously had. I wonder what the effect would be if the two
windows were opened first, and then you try the switching.

Well, no need to wonder I suppose, since I'm typing this on a Win98
system. <tries it out>

OK, when I did the "perl-perl-perl, open new window, perl-perl-perl,
back to original window, perl-perl-perl" thing from the original post, I
get the same effect (the PIDs printed followed the pattern A A A, B B B,
B B B; incidentally, they were negative, around -600000). Then I opened
two windows and did "perl-perl-perl, switch window, perl-perl-perl,
switch back, perl-perl-perl" and got PIDs of the form B B B, B B B, B B
B (i.e., always the same PID, and it was the same PID as I got after
opening the second window in the first test).

Cheers,
Philip