develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2001

Re: [perlhelp] some notes on windows problems

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
September 28, 2001 09:47
Re: [perlhelp] some notes on windows problems
Message ID:
20010928124751.B27380@blackrider
On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 05:17:19PM +0300, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> I'm now dimly recalling at least some of what I had to change in old
> perldoc.bat.  First off, using $$ to generate a reasonably unique
> tempfilespec doesn't work nicely under MSWin, because:

Anything wrong with File::Temp?

> So that, plus just basic interface design (i.e., more.com is bone stupid,
> besides not being a GUI), led me to think that behavior of perldoc under
> MSWin should not be to pipe to more.com, but instead to pipe output to a
> temp file, and open that temp file in a text editor, like write.exe (which
> kicks open wordpad under MSWin98 -- not sure what it does under MSWin95).
> Or start.exe, which just opens the file with whatever application is
> associated with that extension.

Hmmm... if there's a Pod to Windows Help converter around somewhere
that might be useful.

And hey, there it is:
http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-authors/Peter_Prymmer/Pod2WinHlp-0.02.readme
excepting that it seems to require some Visual Studio utilities.  Damn.

Perl6 Quality Assurance     <perl-qa@perl.org>	     Kwalitee Is Job One
<purl> Hey, Schwern!  THERE IS A HUGE GAZORGANSPLATTEDFARTMONGERING-
LIGHTENINGBEASTASAURSOPOD BEHIND YOU!  RUN, BEFORE IT GAFLUMMOXES YOUR
INNARDLYBITS!