develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2001

Re: [perlhelp] some notes on windows problems

From:
Nick Ing-Simmons
Date:
September 28, 2001 08:09
Re: [perlhelp] some notes on windows problems
Message ID:
20010928150906.3483.1@bactrian.elixent.com
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi> writes:
>FYI: some notes on problems regarding perldoc/perlhelp/scripting in
>general on windows systems from *name withheld*.
>
><snip>
>
>Here's some hints for MSWin32 problems that might reappear in perlman:
>
>I'm now dimly recalling at least some of what I had to change in old
>perldoc.bat.  First off, using $$ to generate a reasonably unique
>tempfilespec doesn't work nicely under MSWin, because:
>
>C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\perlhelp>perl -e "print $$"
>482355
>C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\perlhelp>perl -e "print $$"
>482355
>
>Open another command.com window and you get:
>C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\perlhelp>perl -e "print $$"
>317351
>C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\perlhelp>perl -e "print $$"
>317351
>
>And, even weirder, go back to the first (still open) window where we were
>getting 482355, and type:
>C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\perlhelp>perl -e "print $$"
>317351
>C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\perlhelp>perl -e "print $$"
>317351

IIRC the "process id" is the slot in the process table, and Win32
reuses slots. So in absense of other activity your children keep
getting same slot and same id.

--
Nick Ing-Simmons
http://www.ni-s.u-net.com/