develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2001

[gost_guru@yahoo.com: use 5.6.0; no 6.0;]

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
September 27, 2001 18:19
Subject:
[gost_guru@yahoo.com: use 5.6.0; no 6.0;]
Message ID:
20010928041938.D23889@alpha.hut.fi
----- Forwarded message from Geoffrey Young <gost_guru@yahoo.com> -----

Subject: use 5.6.0; no 6.0;
From: Geoffrey Young <gost_guru@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 11:46:59 -0700 (PDT)
To: jhi@iki.fi
Cc: damian@mail.csse.monash.edu.au

hi jarkko...

  I wish I had the ability to offer one patch more
than just a mere suggestion here, but I while ago I
was pondering the idea of being able to say:

# I want to have "our"
use 5.6.0;

# but I also want -> to mean what it meant in 5.X
# else things break
no 6.0;

# and I have various other concerns,
# like being threadsafe
no mod_perl 2.0;

I originally raised this on the mod_perl dev@ list,
where Ken Williams pointed out that the manpages say
"no" is the opposite of "use" but 'tis not the real
case...

the thread may be worth a read, since it covers things
like being able to do this type of thing without
adding new functionality, etc.  it's only a few
messages long.
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=99079508923859&w=2

anyway, I had this question at San Diego and didn't
get the chance to voice it, and Damian suggested I
contact you about it ;)

--Geoff
(too timid to approach p5p directly :)