develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2001

[ID 20010926.029] Can't Configure Perl 5.6.1 on HP-UX 10.20

From:
Michael Goetze
Date:
September 26, 2001 14:57
Subject:
[ID 20010926.029] Can't Configure Perl 5.6.1 on HP-UX 10.20
Message ID:
20010926215709.67283.qmail@web14506.mail.yahoo.com

Hi,

I've tried over and over again but I can't get the Perl Configure
script to do it's job on HP-UX 10.20. It's basically an out-of-the-box
install except that I've added gcc 3.0.1. I also tried it with mawk
1.3.3 installed as /usr/local/bin/awk.
Interestingly enough, Configure detects HP's Bourne Shell as a Korn
Shell, even though diff(1) assures me that they are not the same. I
tried both, and neither works. Here is a partial transcript (I can send
a complete transcript if this is desired):

***

Use which C compiler? [cc] /usr/local/bin/gcc
<command line>: missing '(' after predicate
Uh-oh, the C compiler '/usr/local/bin/gcc' doesn't seem to be working.
You need to find a working C compiler.
Either (purchase and) install the C compiler supplied by your OS
vendor,
or for a free C compiler try http://gcc.gnu.org/
I cannot continue any further, aborting.

***

I also tried the whole business with a modern shell, zsh 4.0.2
(self-compiled). This caused the Configure script to hang after
"Locating common programs...". With the standard HP awk(1) (as opposed
to mawk), I also got the following error message:

***

Would you like to see the instructions? [n]

Locating common programs...
Usage: awk [-F fs][-v Assignment][-f Progfile|Program][Assignment|File]

***

This does not happen when using a standard shell. Any useful hints
would be appreciated (and no, I don't consider "install bash" useful,
seeing as its ./configure detects that i have neither autoconf nor
yacc, and the first thing that the generated Makefile tries to do is
execute said programs.)

Thanks,

Michael

=====
"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones."
-- Linus Torvalds in <1991Aug25.205708.9541@klaava.Helsinki.FI>
"Hurd will be out in a year (or two, or next month, who knows)..."
-- Linus Torvalds in <1991Oct5.054106.4647@klaava.Helsinki.FI>