develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2001

perlhelp: volunteers wanted

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
September 26, 2001 13:13
perlhelp: volunteers wanted
Message ID:
20010926231300.J23893@alpha.hut.fi
Ladies and gentlemen: turn your memory dial back by about one year.
You should see the subject of 'perlhelp', a perldoc rewritten-from
scratch replacement by Tom Christiansen, coming into view.

I would very much like to see perlhelp in 5.8.0, but unfortunately
my own tuit supply is abysmally low.

What is needed: a small group of volunteers that would lean
a bit on the code, that it works with bleadperl, gets installed
by "make install" (changes in Makefiles and such required), and
*especially* that it works on non-UNIX systems.  We all know,
and Tom would eloquently agree, that his patience for non-UNIX
platforms is...  limited.

Especially useful would be volunteers on Win32 and VMS platforms,
and any volunteers on platforms without the concept of 'hard links'
in their filesystems, since the perlhelp expects that to save
quite a bit of diskspace.  Some sorts of workarounds are needed in
non-hard-linking platforms.  (All these issues are included in the
...included mailfolder, read on.)

Remember, Tom himself is pretty much gone from the Perl circuit,
so please don't bother him about this: he already generously dug
the latest version from his archives.  Also please do *not* be
tempted by adding more cra^features to perlhelp: the featuritis
of perldoc was exactly the reason why Tom undertook the perlhelp
project in the first place.  Think UNIX: small tools, each doing
their job well.

The kit: http://www.iki.fi/jhi/perlhelp

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/