develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2001

umask EXPR & 0700 fatality

From:
Chris Nandor
Date:
September 26, 2001 09:01
Subject:
umask EXPR & 0700 fatality
Message ID:
pudge-812226.12012026092001@onion.valueclick.com
perlfunc says:

               If umask(2) is not implemented on your system and
               you are trying to restrict access for yourself
               (i.e., (EXPR & 0700) > 0), produces a fatal error
               at run time.  If umask(2) is not implemented and
               you are not trying to restrict access for
               yourself, returns "undef".

I am trying to find out *why*.  I found just a few references here and
there, and this patch:

tml

But I am not sure why it makes sense for, in my case, MacPerl to ever
die for a umask() call.  I am inclined to just have umask() die on
MacPerl just as it would on any other platform, but I am not sure this
is best.

Thoughts, insights?

Thanks,

--