Re: The coderef in @INC strikes back

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
Re: The coderef in @INC strikes back
Message ID:
20010823145303.D82818@plum.flirble.org
On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 02:33:43PM +0100, Simon Cozens wrote:

> > Rafael> Do we need the ability to include source code filters via
> > Rafael> hooks in @INC ?
> >
> > Wasn't this to support gzipped @INC hierarchies?  Or does that use a
> > different mechanism?  I recall someone saying that they could get
> > gzipped @INCs working now that ___ was done.  Was this it?

Originally I was playing with source filters to decompress things.
[Hmm. I have a module to do this. Maybe it should go onto CPAN]
But it doesn't help with the data in <DATA>

> Yes and no. It does enable support for zipped @INC, (See ex::lib::zip)
> but it's useful for lots of other things as well. (See ByteLoader)

Ah. But don't see ex::lib::zip right now because it SEGVs in all the tests. :-(
Pressure of time meant I'd not looked at it since 5.7.1 and enough APIs have
moved since then to break things. I'm also aware that its prerequisites
PerlIO::gzip and PerlIO::subfile fail tests/are issuing warnings during
testing. I started to attempt to track down the causes of all these bugs
last night and fix them (hence the proposed perlio patch for the first small
thing)

Nicholas Clark