Re: minor File::Spec questions

From:
Tim Jenness
Date:
Re: minor File::Spec questions
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.33.0108221316260.24088-100000@lapaki
On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, David Boyce wrote:

> I agree about the weird OO interface but this drifts from my major point.
> Would it not make sense to fold File::Basename into File::Spec and
> deprecate the former while leaving it as a compatibility wrapper?

Sounds good to me. I ran into this problem in File::Temp. I wanted to
stick to File::Spec and felt it was really silly for File::Basename
to be required (in the end I did stick to File::Spec by using splitpath
and catpath but it was not as efficient).

I did make a start on adding it to File::Spec about a year ago but ran out
of steam after doing the, easy, unix bit :-) File::Basename is a mess at
the moment with all the 'if $osname' stuff in there.

As Barrie says, the question is the interface.

--
Tim Jenness
JAC software