Re: Difference between usethreads, use5005threads

From:
Arthur Bergman
Date:
Re: Difference between usethreads, use5005threads
Message ID:
021a01c12add$ecc9ed40$21000a0a@vogw2kdev

> What exactly is the difference between usethreads and use5005threads?
> What I've been able to gather from the source is that 'usethreads' just
> defines things like perl_mutex, but use5005threads actually allows "use
> Thread" to function.

usethreads use5005threads becomes the define USE_THREADS
usethreads (MULTIPLICITY | useithreads) becomes the define USE_ITHREADS

both use_threads and use_ithreads define stuff like perl_mutex

> Is that even close?
>
> Assuming the above is correct, I am assuming that there is performance
> degradation associated with usethreads, am I correct there as well?

with USE_THREADS yes, with USE_ITHREADS no

Andy has a neat comment in the source that USE_THREADS should be USE_5005THREADS, someone might want to fix this ;)

> Thanks.
>
> - D

Arthur