Re: [ID 20010821.004] Pseudo-hash access does not check for non-numeric indices

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
Re: [ID 20010821.004] Pseudo-hash access does not check for non-numeric indices
Message ID:
20010821174732.T568@blackrider
On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 01:52:13PM -0700, Sean McAfee wrote:
> ...but my leaving out of the [0] caused $column to be treated as a
> pseudo-hash, causing the index of the "files" member to be the expression
> [ ], which, in numeric context, evaulates to the address of the array being
> referenced, which is typically a very large number, accounting for the huge
> memory usage.  Such, at least, is my theory.

bleadperl says:

    Out of memory during "large" request for 2147487744 bytes, total sbrk() is 77952 bytes at - line 2.

so your theory seems correct.

> Site configuration information for perl 5.00503:

PS  If you're going to be playing with pseudohashes, use 5.6.1.

PPS Pseudohashes are deprecated as of 5.7.2

Perl6 Quality Assurance     <perl-qa@perl.org>	     Kwalitee Is Job One
<purl> Hey, Schwern!  THERE IS A HUGE GAZORGANSPLATTEDFARTMONGERING-
LIGHTENINGBEASTASAURSOPOD BEHIND YOU!  RUN, BEFORE IT GAFLUMMOXES YOUR
INNARDLYBITS!