Re: vstring guidance needed

From:
John Peacock
Date:
Re: vstring guidance needed
Message ID:
3B82CE92.F98986E6@rowman.com
Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:

> John Peacock <jpeacock@rowman.com> writes:
> >> An idea: Have you checked back the p5p archives, when the vstrings were
> >> introduced?
> >
> >I tried to check the archives, but found precious little information.
> >I was hoping that someone who knew something one way or the other would
> >speak up.
>
> There was a whole slew of stuff including eventually Larry's
> ruling on what parts of Camel-III meant.

(grumble, grumble, stupid Glimpse search engine)

Yes, I found lots of discussion, going way back to an e-mail from Larry
describing his goals for v-strings.  I also found lots of discussion
from earlier this year about EBCDIC comparisons, etc.  I just want to
make sure everyone was clear I am doing nothing about that.  My patch is
strictly limited to taking the existing code out of toke.c and putting
it into util.c.  I am not changing [hardly*] any functionality at all;
any existing problems with EBCDIC comparisons are still there.

John Peacock

* I had to adjust the code to parse 5.005 correctly (currently it
will bitch about not supporting octal code when you get to 005).
And of course, I am making other code in the core use this code to
manage v-strings, rather than the hodgepodge of version test code.

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group