Re: Where should a test for pp_divide behaviour go?

From:
Abigail
Date:
Re: Where should a test for pp_divide behaviour go?
Message ID:
20010821204527.7392.qmail@foad.org
On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 11:03:18PM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> Currently pp_divide reads both operands from the stack before testing
> the right operand to see if it is zero. This results in the following
> behaviour:
>
> perl -wle 'print undef()/0'
> Use of uninitialized value at -e line 1.
> Illegal division by zero at -e line 1.
>
> Do we wish to preserve this?
> Or is it fair to read the top argument from the stack, and if it is zero
> die with "Illegal division" before even inspecting the second argument?

I prefer to preserve this. The LHS being undefined will usually be
unrelated to the RHS being 0, so this would indicate two problems
with the code.

I'd see it as a service to the programmer when they can be reported
at the same time, instead first reporting one issue, and then (after
a presumed fix of the problem) report the second issue.

Abigail