Re: Master's Thesis/Project

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
Re: Master's Thesis/Project
Message ID:
20010821141436.N568@blackrider
On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 03:01:00PM +0100, Hugo van der Sanden wrote:
> Gibbs Tanton - tgibbs <Tanton.Gibbs@acxiom.com> wrote:
> :I'm working on a Master's in computer science and I thought there might be
> :some good projects to be had from Perl.  Does anyone have any recomendations
> :as to Perl needs that would make good master's projects or even a master's
> :thesis?
>
> For a master's project, a likely area of interest would be optimisation -

Rumor has it there was an experiment done by Sarathy (?) which
involved combining common sequences of opcodes together into one
optimized opcode.

For example "$foo = $bar" is currently three ops (sassign and two
gvsv's or padsvs).  Creating a single op for that common operation
might give us a nice performance boost.

Perl6 Quality Assurance     <perl-qa@perl.org>	     Kwalitee Is Job One
Your average appeasement engineer is about as clued-up on computers as
the average computer "hacker" is about B.O.
	-- BOFH