Re: minor File::Spec questions

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
Re: minor File::Spec questions
Message ID:
20010821140335.L568@blackrider
On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 08:21:32AM -0400, Barrie Slaymaker wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 11:22:31PM -0400, David Boyce wrote:
> I think it would be good if perldoc File::Spec gave all the routines'
> names, calling examples, and descriptions.  It's certainly the most
> logical place to look.  Care to patch?  I'm pretty swamped right now...

While you're at it... It's probably a mistake that File::Spec::Unix is
the top of the hierarchy.  MakeMaker has this problem.  All the really
generic bits of File::Spec::Unix should be split out into
File::Spec::Generic and everything made to inherit from that.

If you wanted to go a step further, you could do a Class::Virtual
style thing to set up virtual methods in File::Spec::Generic covering
the whole interface so we're sure every subclass covers the whole
interface.

But that might be a bit of work.  Just moving the docs to File::Spec
is good 'nuff.

> > Another nit which it's probably way too late to fix: technically it should
> > be File::Spec::UNIX (all caps).

Actually, it should be File::Spec::UNIX::tm  ;)

Perl6 Quality Assurance     <perl-qa@perl.org>	     Kwalitee Is Job One
"Let's face it," said bearded Rusty Simmons, opening a can after the
race.  "This is a good excuse to drink some beer."  At 10:30 in the
morning?  "Well, it's past noon in Dublin," said teammate Mike
[Joseph] Schwern.  "It's our duty."
    -- "Sure, and It's a Great Day for Irish Runners"
       Newsday, Sunday, March 20, 1988