RE: Adding callbacks to the core

From:
Nick Ing-Simmons
Date:
RE: Adding callbacks to the core
Message ID:
20010820214059.747.6@bactrian.ni-s.u-net.com
David M . Lloyd <dmlloyd@tds.net> writes:
>On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Arthur Bergman wrote:
>
>> Isn't callback check the same as async check?
>
>Similar but not the same.  Async check scans an array looking to see which
>signal was triggered; Callback check doesn't need to scan.

But ASYNC_CHECK only does its scan if a global flag is set. The important
speed issue is the number of those global flags. So IMHO they should share
the global "anything to do" flag - if necessary by implementing ASYNC_CHECK
as a callback (or callbacks as a psuedo-signal, or ...).

>Also, with
>callback check, you can add and remove callbacks at runtime.

>True; I am basing my estimation from Async::Callback, which seems to have
>little noticable performance degradation (based off my casual observation,
>not real benchmarking mind you).

The list in general and me as acting pumpking will want to see "real"
benchmarks.

As a start - Find slowest machine you can and do "make test" with and without
the patch.

--
Nick Ing-Simmons
http://www.ni-s.u-net.com/