RE: Adding callbacks to the core

From:
David M. Lloyd
Date:
RE: Adding callbacks to the core
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.33.0108201532220.1027-100000@homebody.freemm.org
On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Arthur Bergman wrote:

> Isn't callback check the same as async check?

Similar but not the same.  Async check scans an array looking to see which
signal was triggered; Callback check doesn't need to scan.  Also, with
callback check, you can add and remove callbacks at runtime.

> You need a *THX* in there.

Oops, forgot.

> You cannot claim the cost is small without benchmarking it.

True; I am basing my estimation from Async::Callback, which seems to have
little noticable performance degradation (based off my casual observation,
not real benchmarking mind you).

However, I will also add a 'use callbacks' to my implementation just to be
sure that nobody gets a performance hit who doesn't want it.

- D

<dmlloyd@tds.net>