Re: Adding callbacks to the core

From:
Paul Johnson
Date:
Re: Adding callbacks to the core
Message ID:
20010820214147.A12169@pjcj.net
On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 01:04:39PM -0500, David M. Lloyd wrote:
> I was thinking about adding functionality like that given in my
> Async::Callback module directly to the core of Perl, and I want to get
> some thoughts and opinions.

Maybe it would help if you were to explain what problem you are trying
to solve.  What would be the benefit of adding this to the core over
requiring people to use Async::Callback?  Could the problems be solved
by having Async::Callback in the core?

I can see some benefits to having the code in the core, mostly to do
with ensuring both that the code is there and that it is known about and
up to date.  My concern though is that the extra check in the red-hot op
dispacth could affect speed too much.  And too much probably won't be
all that much.  Does anyone remember the discussion about Chip's
original safe signals patch?

I'm sure that a benchmark would help here.  How much is code slowed down
in the normal case where there are no callbacks ever?

--
Paul Johnson - paul@pjcj.net
http://www.pjcj.net