IPv6 support (was: Modules that get passed a bareword?)

From:
Gisle Aas
Date:
August 17, 2001 13:48
Subject:
IPv6 support (was: Modules that get passed a bareword?)
Message ID:
lrpu9ubejq.fsf@caliper.ActiveState.com
Jeff Okamoto <okamoto@xfiles.corp.hp.com> writes:

> > > I'm slowly working on some IPv6 stuff, and was trying to figure out if
> > > I can move connect/bind/accept (at least) out of Perl's core and into
> > > an XSUB module.
> >
> > It is unclear to me why you need to change connect/bind/accept at all.
> > These functions were designed to be transport independent and does not
> > assume anything about IPv4.
>
> Unfortunately, they do.

Really.  If I read the documentation for Perl's connect I see:

       connect SOCKET,NAME
               Attempts to connect to a remote socket, just as
               the connect system call does.  Returns true if it
               succeeded, false otherwise.  NAME should be a
               packed address of the appropriate type for the
               socket.  See the examples in the Sockets:
               Client/Server Communication entry in the perlipc
               manpage.

There is nothing here that prevents me from passing in a sockaddr_in6
as the NAME.

> I'll post a document that explains how I envision adding IPv6 functionality
> to Perl.

That would be great.

Regards,
Gisle