Re: Modules that get passed a bareword?

From:
Jeff Okamoto
Date:
Re: Modules that get passed a bareword?
Message ID:
200108171938.MAA22479@xfiles.corp.hp.com
> > I'm slowly working on some IPv6 stuff, and was trying to figure out if
> > I can move connect/bind/accept (at least) out of Perl's core and into
> > an XSUB module.
>
> It is unclear to me why you need to change connect/bind/accept at all.
> These functions were designed to be transport independent and does not
> assume anything about IPv4.

Unfortunately, they do.  Connect, bind, and accept all have arguments that
must be different depending on the type of connection (sockaddr_un for
AF_UNIX, sockaddr_in for AF_INET, and sockaddr_in6 for AF_INET6).

> I thought all that was needed was a new Socket.pm module that formats the
> address structs differently.  There is already a Socket6.pm module on CPAN.
>
> Can you explain?  Are there some extra RFC I should read that explains
> this extra API you try to set up?

I'll post a document that explains how I envision adding IPv6 functionality
to Perl.

Jeff