Configure: installing only version specific parts

From:
Ronald J Kimball
Date:
Configure: installing only version specific parts
Message ID:
20010814123836.C695231@linguist.thayer.dartmouth.edu

I've never figured out this part of the Configure script:

  Do you want to install only the version-specific parts of the perl
  distribution?  Usually you do *not* want to do this.
  Do you want to install only the version-specific parts of perl? [y] n

  *** WHOA THERE!!! ***
      The recommended value for $versiononly on this machine was "define"!
      Keep the recommended value? [y]

The default answer contradicts the advice before the question, and when I
answer 'n', according to the advice, I get a big warning and have to
confirm.

So, why is the default answer to this question yes instead of no?

This behavior occurs with perl@11660, and with previous snapshots as
well.  I'm using the linux hints for Configure.

Ronald