`` instead of system() in tests?

From:
Philip Newton
Date:
August 12, 2001 09:34
Subject:
`` instead of system() in tests?
Message ID:
perl.perl5.porters-41828@nntp.perl.org
Hi, in a recent patch to t/io/fs.t, I noticed a command being run with
`` even though its output was discarded. After taking a look through
the file, I saw this usage multiple times. (For example, `mkdir tmp` or
`echo helloworld > Iofs.tmp` or `set file tmp.dir/protection=o:d`.) I
think this sort of thing crops up in other test files as well.

Is there a reason those can't just be replaced with system()? It
appears to be rather odd usage to me.

Cheers,
Philip
--