Re: On "Command-line Wildcard Expansion"

From:
Tye McQueen
Date:
Re: On "Command-line Wildcard Expansion"
Message ID:
200108071651.f77GpkM00606@metronet.com
Excerpts from the mail message of Jenda Krynicky:
)
) > That is a bit misleading.  glob("foo-^&#@") is "foo-^&#@"
) > (at least under Win32).
)
) Beg your pardon???
)
) perl -e "print glob('foo-^&#@')"
) perl -e "use File::DosGlob qw(glob);print glob('foo-^&#@')"
) perl -e "use File::Glob qw(glob);print glob('foo-^&#@')"
)
) All these return NOTHING.

For me, (perl v5.6.0), the first returns the strings.  My
previous testing of File::DosGlob must have been flawed
as it returns nothing in today's testing.  But that doesn't
affect my argument as I already said that glob() returning
nothing should restore the original argument. :)

And, yes, there should be a way to get non-globbing behavior
and it should be much easier than the current (inconvient)
methods for getting globbing behavior.  But globbing should
be the _default_.

Tye