Re: On "Command-line Wildcard Expansion"

From:
Dan Sugalski
Date:
Re: On "Command-line Wildcard Expansion"
Message ID:
5.1.0.14.0.20010807113611.023a34e0@tuatha.sidhe.org
At 08:28 AM 8/7/2001 -0700, Gurusamy Sarathy wrote:
>On Tue, 07 Aug 2001 10:51:13 EDT, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> >At 11:15 PM 8/6/2001 -0500, Tye McQueen wrote:
> >>All I want is something that ships with Perl.  Actually, I
> >>find the arguments for not rolling this into Perl itself very
> >>unconvincing.  I'd prefer @ARGV to have wildcards expanded
> >>in the name of portability and provide Win32::GetCommandLine()
> >>for people who want to write Win32ish command-line interfaces.
> >
> >There's also precendent for rolling it in. VMS itself doesn't do wildcard
> >expansion as part of its command line interface, but perl on VMS does. (We
> >also emulate the I/O redirection and & backgrounding, but you might not
> >want to go that far)
>
>I don't mind adding a Wild.pm-like thing to the distribution, perhaps
>even a single-character switch that's an alias for -MWild.
>
>But changing the default strikes me as a bad decision.  How are we
>going to explain the breakage to (say) bash users?

Oh, without a doubt this is an excellent reason to not enable it by
default. Backwards compatibility is always a pain. (Though I don't know why
bash users would be surprised--isn't this the way bash works on windows?)

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk