Re: On "Command-line Wildcard Expansion"

From:
Gurusamy Sarathy
Date:
Re: On "Command-line Wildcard Expansion"
Message ID:
200108071528.f77FSrf00603@smtp3.ActiveState.com
On Tue, 07 Aug 2001 10:51:13 EDT, Dan Sugalski wrote:
>At 11:15 PM 8/6/2001 -0500, Tye McQueen wrote:
>>All I want is something that ships with Perl.  Actually, I
>>find the arguments for not rolling this into Perl itself very
>>unconvincing.  I'd prefer @ARGV to have wildcards expanded
>>in the name of portability and provide Win32::GetCommandLine()
>>for people who want to write Win32ish command-line interfaces.
>
>There's also precendent for rolling it in. VMS itself doesn't do wildcard
>expansion as part of its command line interface, but perl on VMS does. (We
>also emulate the I/O redirection and & backgrounding, but you might not
>want to go that far)

I don't mind adding a Wild.pm-like thing to the distribution, perhaps
even a single-character switch that's an alias for -MWild.

But changing the default strikes me as a bad decision.  How are we
going to explain the breakage to (say) bash users?

Sarathy
gsar@ActiveState.com