Re: On "Command-line Wildcard Expansion"

From:
Dan Sugalski
Date:
Re: On "Command-line Wildcard Expansion"
Message ID:
5.1.0.14.0.20010807105005.02480880@tuatha.sidhe.org
At 11:15 PM 8/6/2001 -0500, Tye McQueen wrote:
>Excerpts from the mail message of Jenda Krynicky:
>)
>) > Delmonta / IIJIMA Hiromitsu wrote:
>) > >
>) > >         (2) This Wild.pm DOES NOT expand expressions like "a:*.txt" and
>) > >             you need to write "a:.\*.txt" instead (as of ActivePerl
>) > >             Build #517 --- too old, yeh?).
>)
>) G.pm can do better ;-)
>)
>) http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz
>
>All I want is something that ships with Perl.  Actually, I
>find the arguments for not rolling this into Perl itself very
>unconvincing.  I'd prefer @ARGV to have wildcards expanded
>in the name of portability and provide Win32::GetCommandLine()
>for people who want to write Win32ish command-line interfaces.

There's also precendent for rolling it in. VMS itself doesn't do wildcard
expansion as part of its command line interface, but perl on VMS does. (We
also emulate the I/O redirection and & backgrounding, but you might not
want to go that far)

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk