Holding many files open simultaneously

From:
Tim Bunce
Date:
August 6, 2001 05:25
Subject:
Holding many files open simultaneously
Message ID:
20010806132453.C10614@rad.ig.co.uk
Correct me if I'm wrong but, as I understand it, it's not possible to
open a large number of files (>254 ish) in a standard perl (ie one
not using sfio).

Even sysopen() fails because after the open() system call returns the
file descriptor the subsequent fdopen() fails.

So, given a standard perl how can I efficiently hold many file open?
(The FileCache.pm module doesn't count as efficient for my needs.)

I believe that I need an XS module (umm, maybe via Inline) that offers
direct access to the operating system file _descriptor_ i/o functions.

Tim.