Re: PERFORCE change 11579 for review

From:
Doug MacEachern
Date:
Re: PERFORCE change 11579 for review
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.21.0108050835100.23972-100000@mako.covalent.net
On Sun, 5 Aug 2001, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

> Change 11579 by jhi@alpha on 2001/08/05 13:31:07
>
> 	(Reintroduce #11125)
>
> 	Subject: MakeMaker should pass through DEFINE and INC to subdirs
> 	From: Alan Burlison <Alan.Burlison@sun.com>
> 	Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 15:20:13 +0100

this breaks alot of stuff.  if somebody wants INC, DEFINE, etc.,
passed thru, it can be done in the top level Makefile.PL, for example
mod_perl does this:

sub MY::pasthru {
    return unless $APACHE_SRC;
    my $self = shift;
    chomp(my $str = $self->MM::pasthru);
    join $/, "$str\\",
    "\t".'APACHE_SRC="$(APACHE_SRC)"\\',
    "\t".'DEFINE="$(DEFINE)"',
    "";
}

yeah, its not pretty, but not as ugly as breaking lots of existing
packages.  Makefile.PL in subdirectories might have a different INC than
the top level, forcing the toplevel INC into subdirectories is not right.