Re: Dynamic Build of Perl 5.6.1 on AIX 4.3.3... using gcc

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
Re: Dynamic Build of Perl 5.6.1 on AIX 4.3.3... using gcc
Message ID:
20010104143402.DACA.H.M.BRAND@hccnet.nl
On Thu 02 Aug 2001 14:15, LBaxter@FLEETCC.COM wrote:
> Hi all (especially you IBMers out there).
>
> I am trying to build perl from sources with a version of gcc we downloaded
> from IBM's linux compatibility software website (gcc version
> 2.9-aix43-010216).
>
> >From reading various archives I discovering the -Xlinker ccdlflags option
> that allows me to get past link errors, during the build.  The problem I now
> have is that 'make test' fails loading the Dynamic extensions:

try 'slibclean' before you start

> op/defins............Can't load '../lib/auto/File/Glob/Glob.a' for module
> File::Glob: dlopen: ../lib/auto/File/Glob/Glob.a: can't load library
> ../lib/auto/File/Glob/Glob.a103 ../lib/auto/File/Glob/Glob.a at
> ../lib/XSLoader.pm line 75.
>  at ../lib/File/Glob.pm line 101
> Compilation failed in require at op/defins.t line 95.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at op/defins.t line 95.
> FAILED at test 1
>
> Tim Bunce noticed that it was trying to load a '.a' file as a DL.  But I
> understand the IBM is a little 'different' and used .a as the DL extension.
> Also .a is the default DL extention for AIX when one

*ALL* objects on AIX are shared, and AIX has no difference between shared
libraries and static one's (AFAIK). All objects are relocatable, and all
libraries end with .a

> ./Configures... (although when I looked on my system there were .so
> files in /usr/lib (so I am a little confused). When I changed to 'so'
> as the extension I didn't even get past the build phase.
>
> There seems to be nothing, in the README.aix file in perl directory that
> discusses gcc. Can anyone shed light on this, or share a perl -V output for
> a build that successful makes and tests using dynamic libraries for
> extensions?

I've tried to extend the README.aix and you should try to get the one from
bleadperl (if you dare)

> I would be happy to contribute patches to the README.aix file in the root of
> the perl tree... even contribute a hints file, if I can find the right
> incantation.  A pointer or two from someone who has done this would be
> appreciated.

Every bit of knowledge is highly appreciated. I'm currently working on getting
perl-current (the latest development situation) built on AIX 4.3.3 with
gcc-3.0

Your info might help. Don't hesitate to mail privately if you don't want to
discuss minorities on line.

--
H.Merijn Brand    Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://www.amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.6.1, 5.7.1 & 628 on HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, AIX 4.2, AIX 4.3,