one new port (already) and new module(s) (soon)

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
August 2, 2001 08:23
Subject:
one new port (already) and new module(s) (soon)
Message ID:
20010802102112.W20071@chaos.wustl.edu
I'm not going to release a snapshot today, but I just thought
to let you know that

(1) We now support building Perl for WinCE (also known as PerlCE),
    the support kindly contributed by Rainer Keuchel.  There's still
    some unnecessary duplication between win32/ and wince/, but what
    we have, works.

(2) I think we should assimilate Artur's threads and threads::shared
    (possibly also threads::queue) into the core so that we can say
    that we have a supported multithreading model in Perl.
    It definitely seems more stable than the old 5.005 threads model.

    I  think this less as adding new modules but more as fixing
    long-standing and annoying bugs.

    I'm not integrating quite yet since Artur is in YAPC::Europe and
    he still has few patches to send in and enhance the documentation
    of the modules, but next week or so we'll see.

    In the meanwhile, please stress test those modules (you'll need
    to Configure with -Dusethreads -Duseithreads, or use Win32 where
    i(nterpreter) threads is the standard.)

    (I also notice with some amusement that also Artur would be glad
    if there were a way to auto-reference using prototypes, for his
    share(), unshare(), lock(), unlock(), etc.)

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen