Re: CPAN and module VERSION numbers generated from CVS/RCS

From:
John Peacock
Date:
Re: CPAN and module VERSION numbers generated from CVS/RCS
Message ID:
3B695CEE.5D09AFA1@rowman.com
Michael G Schwern wrote:

> v10.10 is a special construct in Perl IIRC, and its comparision rules
> are documented.  I can't seem to remember where the docs are, though.
>
> > I'd like to here thoughts on how this inconsistency
> > could be resolved, and again, how to work best with
> > VERSION strings that are derived from RCS/CVS Revisions numbers.
>
> The problem here is that CPAN decided, whether for good or bad, that
> they were going to go with numeric comparision of version numbers.  So
> 10.10 < 10.9.  Even though this might seem like a mistake, I think the
> historical reason was to defend against authors writing this:
>
>     $VERSION = 10.10;
>
> and forgetting that its going to come out as 10.1.
>
> For good or for ill, that's the way it is.  Making all the various
> core routines to check versions consistant, and writing down a
> definitive guide to how checks are done is a Good Thing.  Making sure
> Exporter and CPAN and use() do the same thing with versions is important.

I would prefer to go this route, and would be happy to help with a
little poke in the right direction.  I would actually like to make sure
this would be the new example code:

	$VERSION = qw($Revision: 1.51 $)[1];

since that is vastly easier than the leaping and jumping that is
suggested in perlmod.  Would the correct place to patch be Exporter
and have CPAN import that one routine?  Where does use() get its logic
from and should that be patched and imported into both Exporter and
CPAN?  Or do I track down the v.10.10 code and make all of them use
that instead?

John

--
John Peacock