Dynamic Build of Perl 5.6.1 on AIX 4.3.3... using gcc

From:
LBaxter
Date:
August 2, 2001 05:18
Subject:
Dynamic Build of Perl 5.6.1 on AIX 4.3.3... using gcc
Message ID:
B1FA93A1B9A9D31189EC00508B6140CD0345D0F8@KPEXS08
Hi all (especially you IBMers out there).

I am trying to build perl from sources with a version of gcc we downloaded
from IBM's linux compatibility software website (gcc version
2.9-aix43-010216).

From reading various archives I discovering the -Xlinker ccdlflags option
that allows me to get past link errors, during the build.  The problem I now
have is that 'make test' fails loading the Dynamic extensions:

op/defins............Can't load '../lib/auto/File/Glob/Glob.a' for module
File::Glob: dlopen: ../lib/auto/File/Glob/Glob.a: can't load library
../lib/auto/File/Glob/Glob.a103 ../lib/auto/File/Glob/Glob.a at
../lib/XSLoader.pm line 75.
 at ../lib/File/Glob.pm line 101
Compilation failed in require at op/defins.t line 95.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at op/defins.t line 95.
FAILED at test 1

Tim Bunce noticed that it was trying to load a '.a' file as a DL.  But I
understand the IBM is a little 'different' and used .a as the DL extension.
Also .a is the default DL extention for AIX when one
./Configures... (although when I looked on my system there were .so
files in /usr/lib (so I am a little confused). When I changed to 'so'
as the extension I didn't even get past the build phase.

There seems to be nothing, in the README.aix file in perl directory that
discusses gcc. Can anyone shed light on this, or share a perl -V output for
a build that successful makes and tests using dynamic libraries for
extensions?

I would be happy to contribute patches to the README.aix file in the root of
the perl tree... even contribute a hints file, if I can find the right
incantation.  A pointer or two from someone who has done this would be
appreciated.

Thanks

Lincoln