Re: [Help] Salvage the Array Hash Monster.

From:
Tim Bunce
Date:
Re: [Help] Salvage the Array Hash Monster.
Message ID:
20010802114228.F10365@rad.ig.co.uk
On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 02:18:44PM +0800, Autrijus Tang wrote:

> I also misunderstood mjd's idea about the proposed patch to core; it's
> more along the line of allowing a scalar that holds a GLOB reference to
> behave exactly like *{"sym"} does, so you can assign it hashref and
> arrayref and have it act like a natural ArrayHashScalarFunctionMonster,
> which I think is a very elegant solution.

I preposed that several years ago (back in the early DBI days) but it
was rejected as "perl doesn't do implicit dereferencing".

I still very much like the idea. Globs _are_ a special case.

Tim.

p.s. But remember that globs are going away in perl6 - but perl6 should
have sufficient magic to provide alternative (and better) approaches.