Re: Bug in File::Find

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
Re: Bug in File::Find
Message ID:
20010727112308.K45034@plum.flirble.org
On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 11:26:48AM -0700, B. Cowgill wrote:
> I believe I have discovered a bug in File::Find. It only happens for me
> when running perl on a linux box while trying to find files within
> a directory which is mounted with smbmount.  The samba server is a Win2K
> box.
>
> Is this the right place to send a bug report?  If so, let me know and
> I'll
> send all the details, with a sample program and test plan.

Strictly perlbug@perl.org is the correct place to send a bug report, as
that will enter the report into the bugs database and then forward it here.

Looking at a samba mount here I see

drwxr-xr-x    1 nclark   nclark        512 Jul 18 12:09 Customers
drwxr-xr-x    1 nclark   nclark        512 Jul 26 12:26 Development

              ^ link count is 1

By default File::Find is assuming that it can rely on a directory's link
count being 2 + number of sub directories, which holds true on nearly all
Unix file system types.

You can turn this assumption off by setting $File::Find::dont_use_nlink = 1;
which should work on File::Find at least as far back as 5.004_05.

There was a long thread about this link count assumption starting at
http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/perl5-porters/2001-02/msg00563.html

There's a summary of that thread in "This Week on perl5-porters" archived as: