Re: Adding a 'make diff' command to MakeMaker

From:
Russ Allbery
Date:
Re: Adding a 'make diff' command to MakeMaker
Message ID:
yl7kx54z0h.fsf@windlord.stanford.edu
Ken Williams <ken@forum.swarthmore.edu> writes:

> The idea I had was to just use 'diff' without a full pathname (i.e. let
> the shell search $PATH), and to let the user add switches by doing 'make
> diff -u' or whatever.  If I can't get the switches to work that way (not
> sure whether 'make' allows it),

I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

> I'll either skip switches or use an environment variable.

There definitely needs to be some way of adding switches.  I recommend
using a make variable so that you can type:

    make diff FLAGS=-u

or the like.