Adding a 'make diff' command to MakeMaker

From:
Ken Williams
Date:
July 18, 2001 14:59
Subject:
Adding a 'make diff' command to MakeMaker
Message ID:
20010718170019-r01010700-597679af-0910-010c@10.0.0.3
Hi,

For a couple years I've wanted for there to be a 'make diff' command
that I could run before doing 'make install'.  The idea is that it would
compare the versions of files it's about to install to already installed
files, and show a diff for each changed file, or indicate new files.

What's the best place to add such functionality?  I'd prefer to add it
to one of the Perl modules and call that code in the 'make' target,
rather than trying to write the whole thing in the makefile.

If it looks reasonable, I'll try to take a stab at this before TPC.

p.s. - I'm not on this list, but I can join if there's going to be any
significant discussion about this.

p.p.s. - I initially sent this message to makemaker@franz.ww.tu-berlin.de ,
but the message bounced with the error "no route to host".

  Ken Williams                             Last Bastion of Euclidity
  ken@forum.swarthmore.edu                            The Math Forum