Re: This week on perl5-porters (10 June--17 June 2001)

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
Re: This week on perl5-porters (10 June--17 June 2001)
Message ID:
20010710210443.Z59620@plum.flirble.org
On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 11:22:00PM -0700, Vadim Konovalov wrote:
> >   I discovered the strtoul() bug and Nick jumped on it and had a
> >   patch to me within 24 hours. As it happens, I discovered the

because it wasn't that big, and I'd been thinking about it for a few
weeks, so as all the preparation was in place it wasn't exactly difficult.

> >   next day that this bug is fixed in version 6.1.0.
>
> I discovered strtoul() bug in Borland CRT and decided to report it to
> Borland.
> I afraid that fix should be more generic, at least it should include all
> Borland compilers. (5.6.x did not had this problem because test suite did
> not tested this).
>
> Nick, could you please extend your effort into Borland(win32)?
> If not, please guide me correct way, and I'll try to fix this myself.

I think that Nick meant me, rather than Nick I-S.
[Referring to me as Nicholas avoids ambiguity, but I then add to it by
signing private mail as just "Nick"]

I remember the Borland CRT bug (and IIRC it was failing to set errno for
4294967296 .. 4294967299).
The patch I supplied and Jarkko committed was in toke.c, not just for
QNX (was it?) so should solve Borland problems for bleadperl.
[but not POSIX::strtoul() on anything, as grok_number isn't a full
strtol and strtoul replacement]

So I'm a bit confused - what still needs doing?

Nicholas Clark