perl5.6 spawn problem while redirect STDOUT

From:
June Young from DV
Date:
July 9, 2001 09:42
Subject:
perl5.6 spawn problem while redirect STDOUT
Message ID:
009FEC05.743CFED8.16@dymd.dymaxion.ca
Hi,

I just installed perl56 on vms Alpha 7.21 and encounter the following
problem of system command in perl while piping output to a file.

source code test.prl:
system("SORT jy.tmp  temp.tmp");

This script runs OK if I do not pipe STDOUT to a file.

test result:
------------
$perl test.prl
$type temp.tmp
aa
bb
cc

$del temp.tmp;

The script will not create temp.tmp if I pipe the STDOUT to a file
$perl test.prl >temp2.tmp
$type temp.tmp
%TYPE-W-SEARCHFAIL, error searching for DSA0:[JY]TEMP.TMP;
-RMS-E-FNF, file not found

I even edit vmspipe.com and replace
$ pif perl_popen_out .nes. "" then perl_define  sys$output 'perl_popen_out'
with
$ pif perl_popen_out .nes. "" then perl_define/user/name_attributes=confine sys$output 'perl_popen_out'
and still get the same answer.

Is any patch out there dealing with this situation?

Thanks,

June Young

--
June Young, Software Development                bus: (902)422-1973 x144
Dymaxion Research Ltd., 5515 Cogswell St.,      fax: (902)421-1267