Why error message output to both STDERR and STDOUT in perl5.6

From:
June Young from DV
Date:
July 9, 2001 05:31
Subject:
Why error message output to both STDERR and STDOUT in perl5.6
Message ID:
009FEBD7.4C728C47.2@dymd.dymaxion.ca
Hi, Craig,

I joined the vmsperl mail list not long time ago and mailed a couple
of letters to vmsperl_faq, but did not receive any answer. So this
time I mail to you and cc to other account. Please let me know whether
it is the correct way to join the discussion.

I installed perl5.6 on vms alpha v7.21 for our company. We noticed
that the new perl undesirably outputs system error message both to STDOUT and
STDERR. For example,

Source: test.prl
---------------
print "hi \n";
exit(1);

With perl5.4, I get:
$ perl test.prl >temp.tmp
%SYSTEM-F-ABORT, abort
$ type temp.tmp
hello

With perl5.6, I get:
$perl test.prl >temp.tmp
%SYSTEM-F-ABORT, abort
$ type temp.tmp
hi
%SYSTEM-F-ABORT, abort

Did anyone have the same problem?
Can you let me know which source file I should look into to fix it?

Thanks,

JY

--
June Young, Software Development                bus: (902)422-1973 x144
Dymaxion Research Ltd., 5515 Cogswell St.,      fax: (902)421-1267