Re: *Old* Safe.pm/Opcode patch

From:
Graham Barr
Date:
Re: *Old* Safe.pm/Opcode patch
Message ID:
20010709101421.K52398@pobox.com
On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 10:20:54AM -0500, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 09:59:07AM -0500, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 01:22:02PM +0100, Simon Cozens wrote:
> > > This one slipped through the net, I think:
> > > There were no objections to it at the time.
>
> I now modernized the patch and applied it (#11212) but more work is
> still needed.  As Graham pointed out close to four years ago, this
> patch is only a partial solution to the original problem detailed in

Yes, later in that thread I did give a patch to fix the defstash problem. But
as Tim points out this has a negative impact on everyone to solve a
problem for the minority.

> Someone who knows how Safe works should work on the "method cache"
> issue.  Also, I wouldn't mind a test patch exercizing the change.
> (The change didn't break the current Safe tests.)

The method cache could be solved by ensuring that you don't use
the method cache when calling from within a compartment.

Although there are still other issues, like when doing a method
search. If defstash is different to when an object was blessed,
you are searching a different package hierarchy. Now unless you
know the ISA hierarchy of all classes you use, and have shared all
those packages, it will not work.

Safe is a BIG can of worm, with many many holes in it.

Graham.