Re: *Old* Safe.pm/Opcode patch

From:
Tim Bunce
Date:
Re: *Old* Safe.pm/Opcode patch
Message ID:
20010709000844.B18608@ig.co.uk
On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 09:23:55PM +0100, Simon Cozens wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 08:48:44PM +0100, Tim Bunce wrote:
> > I'm just not sure it's worth it as Safe has too many other issues
> > (granularity of opcodes being an obvious one).
>
> Uhm, you see, I'm trying to get those issues fixed. Rejecting one bugfix on
> the grounds that there are still outstanding bugs isn't really fair, you know.
> :)

There are times when it may be more prudent to walk away from a 'bug'
that affects few people rather than fix it in a way that impacts everyone.

Not all bugs need fixing, just resolving.

> > Many people who use, or try to use, Safe could get by with the ops pragma
> > (which is why I separated the ops filter logic from Safe many moons ago).
>
> Is this still true in the days of SOAP, XML-RPC and... insert buzzword here?

Perhaps less so, but Safe is still (from memory) fairly broken/limited
in assorted dimensions many of which can't be fixed before perl6 and
the others probably need a rewrite (probably to use ithreads).

Tim.