[@11222] cannot compile -Duseithreads on freebsd-current

From:
Richard Soderberg
Date:
July 8, 2001 16:07
Subject:
[@11222] cannot compile -Duseithreads on freebsd-current
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.21.0107081559090.22788-100000@oregonnet.com
I'm on freebsd-current having problems compiling @11222.

Apparently pthread_atfork is in a shared library I can't seem to use -
/usr/compat/linux/lib/libpthread-0.8.so.

And my tuits don't extend to understanding win32thread.h and
pthread_atfork today.

Can we emulate atfork or use the old dangerous code on platforms
without?

I guess we could also catch this in ./Configure and disable ithreads until
we find a workaround - but that feels icky.

R.

[ 11151] By: gsar                                  on 2001/07/05  00:42:49
        Log: perl built with USE_ITHREADS can deadlock during fork() or backtick
             since it doesn't ensure threads other than the one calling fork()
             aren't holding any locks; the fix is to use pthread_atfork() to
             hold global locks

             building perl with -Dusemymalloc exacerbates the problem since
             Perl_malloc() holds a mutex, and perl's exec() calls New()

             XXX the code in win32thread.h may be needed on platforms that have
             no pthread_atfork()
     Branch: perl
           ! perl.c thread.h win32/win32thread.h