Re: *Old* Safe.pm/Opcode patch

From:
Tim Bunce
Date:
Re: *Old* Safe.pm/Opcode patch
Message ID:
20010708204844.D17493@ig.co.uk
On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 01:22:02PM +0100, Simon Cozens wrote:
> This one slipped through the net, I think:
> There were no objections to it at the time.

I objected a little (possibly earlier or later than that patch being
proposed).

I think the cost was quite high for the sake of making a rarely used
and fairly broken module slightly less broken. The cost is not
localized to users of that module.

I've not checked your patch specifically but as I recall the cost is 4
bytes for every sub plus a little extra logic per function call (which
is very much critical path and way too slow already).

I'm just not sure it's worth it as Safe has too many other issues
(granularity of opcodes being an obvious one).

Many people who use, or try to use, Safe could get by with the ops pragma
(which is why I separated the ops filter logic from Safe many moons ago).

Tim.

ps. FYI, I did a fair bit of work developing Safe.pm and ops.pm way back.