Re: [rrothenberg@notes.cc.sunysb.edu: longmess and shortmess? (was Re: This Week on perl5-porters)]

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
Re: [rrothenberg@notes.cc.sunysb.edu: longmess and shortmess? (was Re: This Week on perl5-porters)]
Message ID:
20010706033351.J32727@blackrider
On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 08:15:23AM +0100, Graham Barr wrote:
> I see that as nothing more than change for the sake of change. I have seen
> no good reason given why these names are any better than what we
> have.

> And as pointed out, the existing names will have to stay as aliaes
> anyway as there is already code using them.

Two extra lines to alias *longmess = \&yodel, etc... isn't a big deal.

> So tell me, what is the benefit of this change ?

They work better with the rest of the interface, sound neat and the
patch is already written.

And remember, this isn't quite changing the interface as adding to it.
long/shortmess were never published.

Perl6 Quality Assurance     <perl-qa@perl.org>	     Kwalitee Is Job One
The eye opening delightful morning taste of expired cheese bits in sour milk!