CPAN and VERSION underscore (Was: Bug in CPAN.pm)

From:
andreas.koenig
Date:
July 3, 2001 19:28
Subject:
CPAN and VERSION underscore (Was: Bug in CPAN.pm)
Message ID:
m3vgl9ig19.fsf@ak-242.mind.de

Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 14:23:15 -0500
From: Elaine -HFB- Ashton <elaine@chaos.wustl.edu>

  > The way I understand the naming conventions for CPAN to work, the '_' in
  > the name should indicate alpha/beta software and shouldn't be the first
  > distribution CPAN.pm picks up on when you ask it to install a package.

  > Hence, I figure that 'install CGI' shouldn't go for the '_alpha' without
  > the user asking for it explicitly. So, unless I've misunderstood
  > something, I consider this to be a bug.

It is not any underscore, it's an underscore in the mantissa. This is
documented in CPAN/modules/04pause.html for filenames on CPAN:

    The automatic integration of your work into several indexes and
    directory trees is not always in accordance with what you desire.
    If you want to prevent propagation to places outside of your
    directory, simply choose a filename that matches /\d\.\d+_\d/,
    i.e. something that looks like derived from a perl subversion
    number (maybe because it is a perl subversion). PAUSE will leave
    such distributions untouched: no readme will be extracted, no
    index will be updated, no symlinks will be created.

Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 09:29:02 -1000 (HST)
From: Tim Jenness <t.jenness@jach.hawaii.edu>

   > Is it possible that the problem is caused by the version number in the
   > module itself not using the same convention as the tar file name?

Yes and No. You exclude a whole distribution from indexing by using a
filename that matches /\d\.\d+_\d/, and you exclude a single module by
using a module $VERSION that matches that.

Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 14:46:48 -0500
From: Elaine -HFB- Ashton <elaine@chaos.wustl.edu>

   > Hmmm. That's a good catch as I didn't see that :) The docs for
   > CPAN.pm are a little vague so I'll submit a patch to perhaps make
   > it more clear that the version '_' should be in both the module
   > $VERSION and in the distname as well. I suspect that is the root
   > of the problem.

It's either the filename or the $VERSION string that helps, and it's
not due to any underscore, just this: /\d\.\d+_\d/

    > ! module version number which will also be reflected in the distribution
    > ! name when you run 'make dist'), so the really hottest and newest
    > ! distribution is not always the default.  If a module Foo circulates
    > ! on CPAN in both version 1.23 and 1.23_90, CPAN.pm offers a convenient
    > ! way to install version 1.23 by saying

The fix is not wrong, just incomplete. But I think, this needs not be
documented in CPAN.pm, as it is a frontend for the user. 04pause.html
is the documentation for the author.

--
andreas