develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2001

Re: [ID 20010612.001] out of memory during regex compilation

From:
Robin Barker
Date:
June 12, 2001 06:29
Re: [ID 20010612.001] out of memory during regex compilation
Message ID:
200106121329.OAA29164@tempest.npl.co.uk

You wrote (in html):
> Thanks for your astonishingly prompt reply (no wonder linux is taking
> over the universe ;-)
>
> I've tried the fix you suggest without success.  I also tried putting a
> real array in an easier regex and it did not seem to interpolate.
>
> Should I address replies like this to you directly or is there another
> address I should be using? Please forgive me if I am breaching
> etiquette.

Last things first:

Sending as HTML only is perhaps a breach of etiquette: I can't read
such messages simply (and tend to regard them as spam).

Your bug message ended up at perl5-porters (see Cc:) and it is usual
for discussion of bugs to continue there: I think the bug database keeps
track of posting to perl5-porters if they contain the [ID ....]
indicator.  Best to keep perl5-porters copied in, the individual
respondents  tend to accumulate on the To:/Cc: lines anyway.

Second things second:

My reply was (perhaps confusing) making two distinct points.
1)  You need perl5.6.1 to avoid this bug, it is present in
    perl5.005_03 (which you have) and perl5.6.0.

2)  I thought that @@ might cause problems, but it doesn't.
    (For very obscure reasons).

To summarise (1) upgrade to perl5.6.1, (2) don't change the regex.

First things last:

We're not all on linux, and some of us have only 20th century mail
readers.

Robin

--
Robin Barker                        | Email: Robin.Barker@npl.co.uk
CMSC, Building 10,                  | Phone: +44 (0) 20 8943 7090