develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2001

Re: Making perl with -Wall

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
May 24, 2001 07:03
Re: Making perl with -Wall
Message ID:
20010524150315.A1988@blackrider.blackstar.co.uk
On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 09:56:05AM +0000, Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:
> >Out of perverse curiousity, I compiled perl with -Wall enabled.
> >Didn't come out too badly if you ignore the several thousand "warning:
> >unused variable `Perl___notused'" warnings.  What is that?  Some sort
> >of no-op.
>
> There is a GCC attribute that will silence the warning

What about all the other compilers?

> - with sutable #define we could add that to the dXXXX in question.
> I suspect if you build with -DMULTIPLICITY the thing will be used
> and warnings will go away.

Well, what I'm more curious about is why we have a variable called
"Perl___notused" at all and not simply an empty macro?

Perl6 Quality Assurance     <perl-qa@perl.org>	     Kwalitee Is Job One
Fuck with me and I will saw off your legs.
	http://www.unamerican.com/